An extract on #vscogreece
Before gelatin became widely available as a commercial product, the most typical gelatin dessert was "calf's foot jelly". As the name indicates, this was made by extracting and purifying gelatin from the foot of a calf. This gelatin was used for savory dishes in aspic, or was mixed with fruit juice and sugar for a dessert.
In the eighteenth century, gelatin from calf's feet, isinglass and hartshorn was colored blue with violet juice, yellow with saffron, red with cochineal and green with spinach and allowed to set in layers in small, narrow glasses. It was flavored with sugar, lemon juice and mixed spices. This preparation was called jelly; Hannah Glasse was the first to record the use of this jelly in trifle in her book The Art of Cookery, first published in 1747.
According to U.S. Food and Drug Administration, jelly is a semi-solid food obtaining gelatinous consistency through the process of concentrating, by the application of heat. It is a mixture of fruit juice or diluted or concentrated fruit juice and saccharine ingredients, in which the fruit juice is more than 45 parts (including 45 parts) by weight and the saccharine ingredients on more than 55 parts by weight.
For the regulations of labeling, if the jelly's made with single fruit juice ingredient, the name should be Jelly. Otherwise, if it is made by multiple fruits, the name of Jelly should be followed by the words Mixed fruit or by the name of fruits. The label should declare each of the ingredients used in the jelly, except that the ingredients are declared without specifying the particular form of the fruit or fruits are used.
In terms of the import policy of jellies and jams published by the U.S. FDA, the import samples of jellies should be tested. Once an import sample of jellies indicates a significant deficiency of fruits based upon values previously established by the Food and Drug Administration, the products should not be available for importing from other countries. However, if the importer can provide evidence to demonstrate that the fruits used as ingredients was used previously, and that the indices used for this finished fruit product just differ from the indices for the United States, then this product can be released to be imported.
Following his death, Saint Gregory was buried at Nazianzus. His relics were transferred to Constantinople in 950, into the Church of the Holy Apostles. Part of the relics were taken from Constantinople by Crusaders during the Fourth Crusade, in 1204, and ended up in Rome. On November 27, 2004, those relics, along with those of John Chrysostom, were returned to Istanbul (Constantinople) by Pope John Paul II, with the Vatican retaining a small portion of both. The relics are now enshrined in the Patriarchal Cathedral of St. George in the Fanar.