V. Arnault (1893). Le clerg de Touraine pendant la Rvolution franaise, 1789-1800 (in French). Tours: Alfred Cattier.
Chevalier, C. (1871). Origines de l'glise de Tours in: Mmoires de la Socit Archologique de Touraine (in French). Tours: Guilland-Verger. 1871. pp. 1634.
Crt-Protin, Isabelle (2002). glise et vie chrtienne dans le diocse de Troyes du IVe au IXe sicle (in French). Villeneuve-d'Ascq (Nord): Presses Univ. Septentrion. ISBN 978-2-85939-753-1.
Duchesne, Louis (1890). Les anciens catalogues piscopaux de la province de Tours (in French). Paris: E. Thorin.
Duchesne, Louis (1910). Fastes piscopaux de l'ancienne Gaule: II. L'Aquitaine et les Lyonaises. Paris: Fontemoing. second edition (in French)
Haurau, Barthlemy (1856). Gallia Christiana: In Provincias Ecclesiasticas Distributa... De provincia Turonensi (in Latin). Tomus Quartus decimus (XIV). Paris: Typographia Regia. pp. 10841118; Instrumenta, pp. 261270.
Jean, Armand (1891). Les vques et les archevques de France depuis 1682 jusqu' 1801 (in French). Paris: A. Picard.
Jehan (de Saint-Clavien), L.-F. (1871). Saint Gatien, premier vque de Tours, in: Mmoires de la Socit Archologique de Touraine (in French). Tours: Guilland-Verger. 1871. pp. 641756.
Tableau des vques constitutionnels de France, de 1791 a 1801 (in French). Paris: chez Mquignon-Havard. 1827. p. 32.
Socit bibliographique (France) (1907). L'piscopat franais depuis le Concordat jusqu' la Sparation (1802-1905). Paris: Librairie des Saints-Pres.
For most of Celtic's history their home strip has featured green and white horizontal hoops, but their original strip consisted of a white top with black shorts and black and green hooped socks. The top also featured the Marist Brothers' badge on the right hand side, consisting of a green Celtic cross inside a red circle. In 1889, the club changed to a green and white vertically striped top and for the next fourteen years this remained unchanged although the colour of the shorts alternated between white and black several times over this period. The top did not feature a crest.
In 1903, Celtic adopted their now famous green and white hooped tops. The new design was worn for the first time on 15 August 1903 in a match against Partick Thistle. Black socks continued to be worn until the early 1930s, at which point the team switched to green socks. Plain white socks came into use in the mid 1960s, and white has been the predominant colour worn since then. The club began using a badge in the 1930s, featuring a four leaf clover logo surrounded by the club's formal title, "The Celtic Football and Athletic Coy. Ltd". However, it was not until 1977 that Celtic finally adopted the club crest on their shirts. The outer segment was reversed out, with white lettering on a green background on the team shirts. The text around the clover logo on the shirts was also shortened from the official club crest to "The Celtic Football Club". For their centenary year in 1988, a commemorative crest was worn, featuring the Celtic cross that appeared on their first shirts. The 1977 version was reinstated for season 198990.
From 1945 onwards numbered shirts slowly came into use throughout Scotland, before becoming compulsory in 1960. By this time Celtic were the last club in Britain to adopt the use of numbers on the team strip to identify players. The traditionalist and idealistic Celtic chairman, Robert Kelly, baulked at the prospect of the famous green and white hoops being disfigured, and as such Celtic wore their numbers on the players shorts. This unusual tradition survived until 1994, although numbered shirts were worn in European competition from 1975 onwards. Celtic's tradition of wearing numbers on their shorts rather than on the back of their shirts was brought to an end when the Scottish Football League instructed Celtic to wear numbers on their shirts from the start of the 199495 season. Celtic responded by adding numbers to the top of their sleeves, however within a few weeks the football authorities ordered the club to attach them to the back of their shirts, where they appeared on a large white patch, breaking up the green and white hoops.
In 1984 Celtic took up shirt sponsorship for the first time, with Fife-based double glazing firm CR Smith having their logo emblazoned on the front of the team jersey. In season 199192, Celtic switched to Glasgow-based car sales company Peoples as sponsors. The club failed to secure a shirt sponsor for season 199293, and for the first time since the early 1980s Celtic took to the field in 'unblemished' hoops. Perversely, despite the loss of marketing revenue, sales of the new unsponsored replica top increased dramatically. Celtic regained shirt sponsorship for season 199394, with CR Smith returning as shirt sponsors in a four-year deal.
In 2005 the club severed their connection with Umbro, suppliers of their kits since the 1960s and entered into a contract with Nike. To mark the 40th anniversary of their European Cup win, a special crest was introduced for the 200708 season. The star that represents this triumph was retained when the usual crest was reinstated the following season. In 2012, a retro style kit was designed by Nike that included narrower hoops to mark the club's 125th anniversary. A special crest was introduced with a Celtic knot design embroidered round the traditional badge. A third-choice strip based on the first ever strip from 1888 was also adopted for the season.
In March 2015, Celtic agreed a new kit deal with Boston-based sportswear manufacturer New Balance to replace Nike from the start of the 201516 season. It is believed to be the biggest kit contract in the club's history, outdoing the decade-long deal with Nike who paid Celtic 5 million a year to make their shirts.
All of the kits for the 201718 season pay tribute to the Lisbon Lions, with the kits having a line on each side to represent the handles of the European Cup. The kits also include a commemorative crest, designed specifically for the season.