An extract on #instagramers
In 1924, Northampton Technical College was opened at St George's Avenue, site of the Avenue Campus. A new building for the college was formally opened by the Duke and Duchess of York in 1932. A School of Art opened later in 1937.
At the beginning of the 1970s, Northamptonshire was one of the few counties in England to lack a teacher-training college. A college in Liverpool lost its home and was transferred to what is now the Park Campus. The College of Education was opened by the Secretary of State for Education and Science, Margaret Thatcher, in 1972. In 1975, this college amalgamated with the colleges of technology and art to become Nene College of Higher Education, taking its name from the River Nene. In 1978 it integrated the Leathersellers College from London.
In 1993, the college incorporated St. Andrew's School of Occupational Therapy and was granted undergraduate degree awarding powers. In 1997 it took in the Sir Gordon Roberts College of Nursing and Midwifery.
It became University College Northampton in 1999 and gained full university status in 2005. In order to gain university status it had to convince the Privy Council that a Royal Decree banning the establishment of a university in Northampton, signed by King Henry III in 1265 following the Battle of Lewes, should be repealed. In 2005 the university also received the power to validate its own research degrees, which had formerly been validated by the University of Leicester. In the graduation ceremonies in July 2006 seven students received the first doctoral degrees validated by the University of Northampton.
In January 2010, the School of Applied Sciences was renamed the School of Science and Technology and moved into the newly refurbished Newton Building at Avenue Campus. The Newton Building was officially opened in September 2010 by HRH The Princess Anne.
The university has two sites: Park Campus at Kingsthorpe, a northern suburb, and Avenue Campus just north of the town centre and opposite a large open park known as the Racecourse.
Avenue Campus was from 1924 the site of a college of technology that became part of the university.
The university has various types of halls of residence in its two campuses, with just over 1,600 rooms. Most first year students live in halls and few second or third years do so. Many of them live in the Abington area, north-west of the town centre. The main halls are: *Simon Senlis (named after Simon de Senlis); Spencer Perceval; William Carey; Margaret Bondfield; John Clare; Charles Bradlaugh (a former ground-floor flat in the latter is a multi-faith Chaplaincy Centre, and another in John Clare houses the Centre for Community Volunteering; Bassett-Lowke.
The university also offers accommodation at Belinda Ferrison house in the Mounts area of the town centre. In April 2012 Northampton Borough Council granted planning permission for a 464-room hall of residence on the site of the St Johns Surface Car Park in the town centre. It opened in 2014 and mainly accommodates international and post-graduate students.
New buildings include a Santander Bank, "one-stop" student centre on Park campus, an innovation centre at Avenue campus for small and start-up businesses and a complete re-fit of the editing and sound studios at Avenue campus.
The university recently took ownership of the Grade II listed former Kingsley Park Middle School next door to Avenue Campus. This has undergone an 11m refurbishment and now houses most of the School of Science and Technology, formerly split between Avenue Campus and Park Campus. The building has been renamed the Newton Building, after Sir Isaac Newton.
The university achieved the Ecocampus Silver award in 2011.
In May 2012, the university announced plans to establish a new riverside campus in the town centre on the site of the disused Northampton Power Station on the south bank of the River Nene. The site would be within the Northampton Waterside Enterprise Zone (known simply as Northampton Waterside) and is due to start accepting students in 2018.