An extract on #cafeandshop
A smaller park occupying 2.73 hectares (6.7 acres) lies to the south west of the triangle on Church Road. Westow Park hosts the annual Crystal Palace Overground festival, a free community festival held over four days during the summer.
On the Church Road/ Westow Street corner is an ornate Greek Orthodox Church which serves the Greek Cypriot and Orthodox community of the surrounding area. Formally an Anglican church, the walls are now dressed in ornate Byzantine-style art.
Crystal Palace sits on the boundary of four London boroughs Bromley, Croydon, Lambeth and Southwark. A fifth borough Lewisham is nearby. As a result, the area is served by a diverse range of local government bodies and members of Parliament.
Arthur Conan Doyle was active in the area between 1891 and 1894. Although he lived in nearby South Norwood he visited the Crystal Palace and Upper Norwood area regularly in connection with the Upper Norwood Literary and Scientific Society. The Foresters Hall on Westow Street was then known as the Welcome Hall (or just Welcome) and it was in that hall in May 1892 that Arthur Conan Doyle was elected president of the society. He was re-elected to the post in 1893 and resigned in 1894. Each occasion was in the same hall.
The writer Deborah Crombie sets her 2013 mystery, The Sound of Broken Glass, in the Crystal Palace area of London.
The FA Cup Final was hosted at the Palace sports stadium between 1895 and 1914.
The historical grounds also hosted the first England Rugby Union match against New Zealand in 1905, which New Zealand won by 15-0, and the London County Cricket Club played matches here.