Posts filled under #gaziantepde

An extract on #gaziantepde

Franz (later Francis) Bauer (17581840) was an Austrian microscopist and botanical artist who became the first botanical illustrator at Kew Gardens. By 1790 he had settled at Kew, where as well as making detailed paintings and drawings of flower dissections, often at microscopic level, he tutored Queen Charlotte, her daughter Princess Elizabeth and William Hooker in the art of illustration, and often entertained friends and botanists at his home. He is buried at St Anne's next to Thomas Gainsborough The American-born English artist Walter Deverell (18271854), who was associated with the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, lived at 352 Kew Road, then called Heathfield House. He had a studio at the end of the garden where there are now garages. In this setting he painted "The Pet" George Engleheart (17501829), who was born in Kew, was one of the greatest English painters of portrait miniatures. Thomas Gainsborough (17271788) visited Kew many times, staying with his friend Joshua Kirby and, after Kirby's death, in a house probably rented by his daughter close to St Anne's Church, where he is buried Arthur Hughes (18321915), Pre-Raphaelite painter, lived and died at Eastside House, 22 Kew Green, Kew. The site is marked by a blue plaque Joshua Kirby (17161774) was a landscape painter, engraver, and writer, whose main artistic focus was "linear perspective", based on the ideas of English mathematician Brook Taylor. He was the son of topographer John Kirby, and the father of the writer Sarah Trimmer and the entomologist William Kirby. In 1760 he moved to Kew, where he taught linear perspective to George III. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1767. Sir Peter Lely (16181680), portrait painter, had a house on the north side of Kew Green. On almost exactly the same site, Jeremiah Meyer (17351789), miniaturist to Queen Charlotte and George III, built a house a century later. Meyer is buried at St Anne's Charles Mozley (19141991), artist and art teacher, lived and died at 358 Kew Road, Kew Victorian artist Marianne North (18301890) did not live in Kew, but she left to Kew Gardens her collection of botanic art, painted on her extensive overseas travels, and funded a gallery the Marianne North Gallery to house them French Impressionist painter Camille Pissarro (18301903) stayed in 1892 at 10 Kew Green, on the corner of Gloucester Road, which is marked by a blue plaque. During his stay he painted Kew Gardens Path to the Great Glasshouse (1892), [1] Kew Greens (1892) [2] and Church at Kew (1892).[3] His third son, Flix Pissarro (18741897), painter, etcher and caricaturist, died at a sanatorium at 262 Kew Road in 1897 The painter Johann Zoffany (17251810), who lived at Strand-on-the-Green, is buried at St Anne's

logo